Learn Easy, Affordable Ways of Growing Vertical Gardens
Welcome to Vertical Gardening School!
VGS will help you:
- Learn how to build and care for all kinds of vertical gardens including green walls/living walls and tower gardens
- Learn how to grow your own food
- Do something good for the environment
- Quiet ambient noise from the street
- Take better care of your houseplants
- Prevent garden problems, pests and diseases
Who’s Behind Vertical Gardening School?
Hi there – I’m Adam. I got into gardening in 2007 during grad school in Colorado when I started a vegetable and herb garden inside my tiny apartment.
My apartment was tiny—just 500 square feet—and it lacked large windows. To grow healthy plants inside a small, dark apartment, I knew I would have to get creative.
My gardening education happened through first-hand experience and lots of trial and error. I grew in soil. I grew all types of hydroponics. I even grew in aeroponic tower systems. Gardening was fun, and I knew I had found a life-long hobby.
I love making things, so my apartment began filling up with DIY grow setups I designed and built myself. When I fall in love with a new hobby, I fall hard.
In 2014, I moved to Fort Lauderdale, Florida, where I bought a mid-century modern 1955 ranch house with vaulted ceilings and floor to ceiling windows and an empty yard waiting to be filled with plants.
Not long after I moved, it happened. I fell in love with vertical gardens.
My husband and I were down in Miami exploring the Wynwood neighborhood, and we walked by a shop that caught my eye. We walked in to look around, and I saw it immediately—a beautiful jungle of tropical plants that had taken over the back wall, growing from the floor all the way up to the ceiling. It was a special type of vertical garden called a living wall or a green wall. And although I didn’t know its name at the time, it was so striking I couldn’t stop looking at it—I was literally mesmerized for a couple minutes as I stuck my head up close to it to get a better look.
It was a special type of vertical garden called a “living wall” or a “green wall”. And although I didn’t know what it was called, it was so striking I couldn’t stop looking at it—I was literally mesmerized for a couple minutes as I stuck my head up close to it to get a better look.
I had seen one or two living walls in photographs and thought they looked interesting, but photos don’t communicate the feeling you get when you see them up close. Before that moment, I didn’t know how breathtakingly beautiful they could be.
Right then, I knew I wanted to start growing living walls.
But when I looked for information about how to build and maintain them, I was frustrated by the lack of useful information on the internet. When I could find information online, it wasn’t helpful. It was too vague and often incomplete.
The nitty-gritty in-depth tutorials, guides, and product reviews I was looking for were nowhere to be found.
So I started this website to change that. Every time I write an article, I try to make it the most in-depth, helpful article about that topic available on the internet.
I hope you find it useful.
How to get the most from VGS
- Subscribe to my weekly vertical gardening newsletter for tips, resources, coupon codes, deals and giveaways.
- Follow me on Pinterest and Twitter for vertical garden ideas, design templates, and inspiration.
- Follow me on Instagram, where I share vertical gardening tips and photos from Vertical Gardening School community members who use the #verticalgardeningschool hashtag.
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel, where I release vertical gardening videos.
- Join the Vertical Gardening School Facebook page, where I post links to cool vertical garden stuff from all around the internet.